US President Donald Trump has pledged to impose a new 10% global tariff after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down most of his previous tariff measures in a landmark 6-3 decision.
Speaking from the White House on Friday, Trump described the ruling as “terrible” and criticised the justices who rejected his trade policy, calling them “fools” and accusing some Republican appointees of being disloyal.

The court held that Trump had exceeded his authority in imposing sweeping tariffs on goods from nearly every country. The White House had relied on the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), a 1977 law that allows the president to regulate trade in response to a national emergency.
However, the majority ruled that Congress had not granted the president explicit authority to impose broad tariffs under that statute.
In his opinion, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that when Congress delegates tariff powers, it does so “in explicit terms and subject to strict limits.”
The decision was joined by the court’s three liberal justices as well as two Trump appointees: Amy Coney Barrett and Neil Gorsuch.
Three conservative justices — Clarence Thomas, Brett Kavanaugh and Samuel Alito — dissented.
In response, Trump announced he would immediately impose a new 10% global tariff under Section 122, a little-used provision that allows the president to levy tariffs of up to 15% for 150 days, pending congressional approval.
“We have alternatives — great alternatives and we’ll be a lot stronger for it,” Trump said, adding that he expects legal challenges over refunds to stretch on for years.
Analysts suggest the White House may also rely on other trade mechanisms, including Section 232 and Section 301, which allow tariffs to address national security risks and unfair trade practices. Tariffs previously imposed under those provisions — including duties on steel, aluminium and cars — were not affected by the ruling.
The ruling marks a significant victory for US states and businesses that challenged the tariffs, potentially opening the door to billions of dollars in refunds. The US government has already collected at least $130 billion in duties under the IEEPA framework, according to recent data.
Wall Street responded positively, with the S&P 500 closing up about 0.7% following the announcement.

Business owners expressed cautious optimism. Beth Benike, owner of Busy Baby products in Minnesota, described the ruling as lifting “a thousand-pound weight” off her chest. Nik Holm, CEO of Terry Precision Cycling, also welcomed the decision, though he acknowledged that restoring supply chains would take time.
However, legal experts warn that securing refunds may require prolonged litigation, potentially leaving smaller firms struggling to recover funds.
The ruling has added fresh uncertainty to global trade relations. A White House official indicated that countries such as the UK, India and the European Union — which had negotiated trade deals with the US — will now face the 10% global tariff under Section 122 instead of previously agreed rates.
European Commission spokesman Olof Gill said the bloc was analysing the decision carefully.
As the legal and political battle continues, Trump’s renewed tariff push sets the stage for another chapter in the administration’s aggressive trade policy, with significant implications for global markets and US businesses alike.


