7 Ghanaian Traders Killed in Burkina Faso Buried as Evacuation Efforts Intensify

The bodies of seven Ghanaian traders who were killed in a terrorist attack in Titao, northern Burkina Faso, have been laid to rest as the Ghanaian government intensifies efforts to evacuate surviving victims.

Minister for the Interior, Muntaka Mubarak, disclosed the development in an interview on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show on Monday, February 16.

According to the Minister, the bodies of the deceased had been burnt beyond recognition during the attack and had begun decomposing, making immediate burial necessary.

“The seven bodies have been burnt beyond recognition. As at yesterday, we agreed they had begun decomposing and had to be buried,” he said.

Mr Mubarak explained that the government had initially hoped Ghana’s diplomatic mission would be present to witness the burial. However, the volatile security situation in the region made it unsafe for officials to travel to the affected area.

“So the Burkina Faso authorities told us that they would bury them at 10 a.m. today. But our women who are not really injured can go and witness and take as many pictures as possible,” he added.

The victims were part of a group of 18 Ghanaian tomato traders and truck drivers who were caught in the deadly attack last Saturday in Titao, a town that has experienced repeated extremist violence in recent years. The incident claimed seven lives and left several others injured.

Providing further details, the Interior Minister stated that three men sustained injuries, while one woman remains in critical condition.

“And the sad thing is that we lost seven of our men. Three of them got injured. One woman was critically injured, and others were not badly injured,” he said.

The Ghanaian government is now working closely with Burkina Faso’s authorities to ensure the safe evacuation of the survivors. Mr Mubarak revealed that Burkina Faso’s military is coordinating efforts to create a secure corridor to transport both injured and uninjured survivors to Ghana’s diplomatic mission in Ouagadougou.

Once the survivors arrive safely in the capital, arrangements will be made to facilitate their return to Ghana.

The tragic incident has renewed concerns about the security risks faced by Ghanaian traders who travel to neighbouring countries for business. Northern Burkina Faso has been plagued by extremist attacks in recent years, posing significant dangers to civilians and foreign nationals alike.

As families mourn their loved ones back home, the Ghanaian government has pledged continued support for the affected victims and their relatives while diplomatic and security efforts remain ongoing to bring the survivors safely back home.

More Reading

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *